[OpenLayers-Users] Obtaining information of a WMS/WFS server with OpenLayers

Markludos sugiereme_algo_capullo at yahoo.es
Thu Feb 9 07:52:51 EST 2012

Hi, I've recently started with OpenLayers and I've found a problem that I'm
not sure if I can solve with it. I'm trying to show maps and layers from a
server that I don't admin so the only thing I have is the url of the service
WMS/WFS.

For WMS I've been capable of show maps using a different application (Gaia
3) with which I've could obtain some information like the name of the layers
or the projection.

For WFS I haven't been able of taking the necessary information to show the
layer. This is the code I suppose it's necessary for showing it:

var wfslayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("WFS", {
	strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.BBOX()],
	protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
	url:  "http://idecan5.grafcan.es/ServicioWFS/RedGeodesica?",
	featureType: *?*,
	featureNS: *?*
	})});
	map.addLayer(wfslayer);

I have no clue of how obtain the featureType and featureNS just using that
url. Is there any way of obtain that information just using OpenLayer? also,
is my code for WFS incomplete? (I mean ignoring the fact that I don't have
the info for featureType and featureNS)

Thanks in advance.