[OpenLayers-Users] OL vector/wfs trouble with GeoServer

Neil T tallentn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:15:02 EST 2012

Hello, my first post on an online forum, so I appoligize if I fail at the
info!

My setup:

Tomcat 7.0.22, localhost:8082
GeoServer 2.1.3, hosted via Tomcat (also :8082)
Oracle XE/Apex 4.1, running via embedded XDB gateway on :8080
Openlayers 2.10 (tried 2.11, not sure if that was the issue, currently back
on 2.10)
Python 2.7 (for my proxy script)
Using Firefox/Firebug for review

I'm attempting to offer a layer of point geometries from my XE DB as a
Vector layer on my map.  The layer displays fine in Geoserver
(workspace:BETA_ORCL, layer:CC_COUNTRIES); I can preview in all formats.  I
had first attempted the GeoServer Proxy (proxy-2.1-SNAPSHOP), but was
unsuccessful and deleted the .jar from my web-inf/lib.  Next, I tried the
proxy.cgi provided by Openlayers - it was origionally unsuccessful as well
(the section that rendered the 'qs' "QUERY_STRING" as an array set was
truncating my url request at the first &...I replaced with an lstrip('url=')
to clean my url instead), and I can successfully pass a getFeature request
using the proxy by manually inserting the url (proxy and getFeatures call)
into a browser; it returns what seems to be a valid xml of my feature set.

All this leads me to believe my Geoserver can offer this layer as a wfs
layer (wfs is enabled, getCapabilities checks out, etc.) through the proxy.
Here's my layer call from javascript:

var countryLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("WFS", {
    strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed()],
    projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326"),
    protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
      url: "http://localhost:8082/geoserver/wfs",
      featurePrefix:"BETA_ORCL",
      featureType: "CC_COUNTRIES",
      geometryName: "CENT_GEOM",
      featureNS: "http://betaora.org",
      schema:
"http://localhost:8082/geoserver/wfs?service=wfs&version=1.1.0&request=DescribeFeatureType&typename=BETA_ORCL:CC_COUNTRIES",
      srsName: "EPSG:4326",
      version: "1.1.0"
      })
});

When the page renders, the only activity I see in the GeoServer logs is the
request for WMS tiles (my base map, which displays fine).  Nothing at all
for WFS layer, no errors...nothing.  In FireBug, I get two warnings on the
console (regarding the xml.js and v1.js for openlayers) about null objects,
but no errors.  On the Net panel, the activity reads:

http://localhost:8082)
STATUS: 200 OK
DOMAIN: localhost:8082
SIZE: 0
Remote IP: localhost:8082

The response is completely empty.

I'm concerned because the net activity in Firebug for WMS layers starts with
POST/GET (vice OPTIONS); does this indicate the problem?

Also unsure of the paramater calls for Protocol.WFS - I've seen SOOO many
combos that all claim to work (using/not using featureNS, schema, etc.)...do
I have it right?

Finally; my Vector layer does create.  It is added to the layer selector,
and is under the dom objects.  However, there are no features; nothing
displayed, nothing in the feature array, and the final two <g> elements
(vroot and troot) have no children.  If I manually add a feature (using the
markup controls), they are successfully added to the map and dom.  Which
makes me think the layer IS working...just not getting data from Geoserver.

Any help is SERIOUSLY appreciated...I'm red-eyed from scouring forums, and
would love to get on with my life.  Thanks!

Neil