[OpenLayers-Users] How to display a lot of tiles fast?

RobSmart r_n_smart at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 05:12:41 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I have a large amount (thousands) of tiles that are divided up into about 43
folders (based on UK OS tiles). Each folder contains around 8 - 15 thousand
images (small aerial photo tiles).

I want to display these as a single basemap in openlayers, so what I have
done so far is to add each folder to geoserver as imageMosaic layer. I've
then created a single GroupLayer in Geoserver that contains all the
mosaicLayers.

The individual MosaicLayers work OK (a bit slow but useable), but the
GroupLayer does not work at all. It just takes so long to render that it
timesout.

Is there an easier/better way to do this? Would merging the data into a
single large folder work? Is there a plugin that would allow this to work
better? Any other optimisation? Is there a way to create a a single base
layer radio button that could actually control the individual layers through
code?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob Smart