[OpenLayers-Users] UTF Grid for non Google base layer

bill_chadwick bill.chadwick2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:11:01 PST 2012

OK so the best way I have found to do this is to add an invisible Google
projection map behind the visible map that might use a non Google
projection. The invisible map's view extent is linked to the visible map's
view extent using the visible map's moveend event. The UTF look up from a
visible map mouse event can then be done on the invisible map's UTF data.

A map with just a UTF layer does not seem to function properly. So I added a
dummy renderable layer to it too using an OpenLayers.Layer.OSM with its url
pointing at a 'blank.gif'.  The invisible map can also have its
restrictedExtent and resolutions set to match the available UTF data. Useful
if the UTF data is only available over a subset of the visible map's extent
and zoom range.