[OpenLayers-Users] Looking for Example interface for auto-re-centering of view (from URL call)

James Morley james at jamesmorley.net
Thu Oct 25 00:56:16 PDT 2012

Hi, I hacked together something along these lines here -
http://www.whatsthatpicture.com/flickr/commons-map.php?lon=99796.004965972&lat=6945659.600239&zoom=4

Sorry, the code needs a good clean up but you'll see there's a
function getParameterByName(name) which makes all the url parameters
available (much like Arnd's example) e.g. setting lon = urlparams.lon
or setting default values if none are present in the url.

These are then used in map.setCenter(new OpenLayers.LonLat(lon,lat), zoom);

When a user moves around the map it also updates the url using
window.history.pushState so you get permalinks for specific views.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Arnd Wippermann
<arnd.wippermann at web.de> wrote:

> You can use
>
> /**
>  * Function: getParameters
>  * Parse the parameters from a URL or from the current page itself into a
>  *     JavaScript Object. Note that parameter values with commas are
> separated
>  *     out into an Array.
>  *
>  * Parameters:
>  * url - {String} Optional url used to extract the query string.
>  *                If url is null or is not supplied, query string is taken
>  *                from the page location.
>  *
>  * Returns:
>  * {Object} An object of key/value pairs from the query string.
>  */
> OpenLayers.Util.getParameters = function(url) {
>
> to parse the url and use the parameters to do something like Curtis
> suggested.
>
> Arnd

---
James Morley