[OpenLayers-Users] Fastest way to create and frequently update ~1000 Features

Alexandre Dubé adube at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 27 05:18:16 PDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

   Here's a good example:
     http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/getfeature-wfs.html

   The states are drawn as an image from a web map server using the WMS
protocol, in this case GeoServer.  The same software also supports WFS,
which returns feature information and its geometry as well.  Clicking or
drawing a box generates a WFS GetFeature query and returns features.
The states from the image come from a WMS GetMap request.

   So, as you can see, features with their geometries are only returned
when needed to interact with.

   You should also take a look at the following example:
    http://openlayers.org /dev/examples/getfeatureinfo-control.html

   Click on the map, on a water body.  You'll see feature information
returned to the right.  This is accomplished exclusively using WMS.  The
map is an image returned by a WMS server, which makes it fast.

HTH,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GIS_software (see Web map servers)

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears