[OpenLayers-Users] question about resolutions and scale

Sachin Dole sdole at genvega.com
Sat Dec 21 11:19:47 PST 2013

Hello,

I need to determine how many miles (or degrees) I am showing on a map so
that I can draw either polygon features at a very low zoomed out level or
draw specific markers at a specific poi when adequately zoomed in. To do
this, I am trying to use map.getExtent(), it does return me a Bounds
object, but that Bounds object always has the same bounds no matter what
units I set on my single OSM baselayer. (whether I set units to "dd" or
"mi"). The bounds object has the following values"

bottom: 3843911.3007974
left: -13661619.94179
right: -5981227.3407642
top: 6402411.5112026

So, what units are these bounds expressed in?

Please help!

Additional information: resolution is also the same regardless of units
specified, the only thing that changes is the scale: (22316774913.675 with
miles and 1540883843445.3813 with degrees).

Best,
Sachin Dole