[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers.Protocol.Script with JSON

Morescratch morescratch at live.com
Wed Feb 6 07:02:21 PST 2013

Hi all I have tried everything to try and get a remote JSON file into my map.
Here is my code:

var olLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector(
    'myJSON, {
        projection: map.displayProjection,
        strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed()],
        protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.Script({
            url:
'http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/geojson/1.0/hour',
	    format: new OpenLayers.Format.GeoJSON(),
	    onFeatureInsert: function(feature) {
                //do something
            },
            parseFeatures: function(data) {
                //do something
            }
        })
})

Curiously (or not) the request for the feed doesn't happen when the map is
loaded, I have to switch the layer off then on again before the request is
sent. I can confirm that the feed is returned however.

Note I have stubbed out onFeatureInsert and parseFeatures because I need to
add some special sauce to my features before rendering them. Any pointers
would be appreciated!

Many thanks!