[OpenLayers-Users] GeoJSON tiles

Jack Greenbaum j.greenbaum at computer.org
Sun Feb 16 16:30:25 PST 2014

I'm building a viewer for a GIS database with a large number of points.
In thinking about how render the features so they are selectable in a
scalable way, it seemed that using GeoJSON tiles with decluttering per
tile might be a way to go, just like map tiles. I didn't see a way to
display tiled GeoJSON in OL2, so I put together a new OpenLayer.Tile
class to be used with an OpenLayer.Layer.XYZ layer to manage marshaling
features on and off a Vector layer as the map scrolls and zoom. It is a
pretty simple hack. You can see an example at
http://www.greenbaum.org/openlayers/examples/geojson-feature-popup.html.
The code is on github, here is the commit,
https://github.com/jgreenbaum/openlayers/commit/5de4a17049ca48f46b69c645111a3c5e5bfb4f4d.

Did I miss something, was there already a way to display tiled GeoJSON
like this? If I didn't miss something, is this useful code?

-- Jack