[OpenLayers-Users] Best approach for sky map

bnorman bnorman at kent.edu
Wed Feb 26 10:36:06 PST 2014

I would like to use openlayers to display a map of the sky using custom
imagery.  I plan to use geoserver on the back end.
Ideally, I would like:
 Display units of right ascension (in hours 0 to 24 hours), declination (-90
to 90 degrees)
 Seamless scrolling across the right ascension boundary (0/24 hours)
 Seamless scrolling across the poles
 Use of image tiles (ultimately converted from FITS files) in
quadrilateralized spherical cube (QSC) or HEALPIX projection.  Both of these
are available in PROJ4. I'm not sure how to store these tiles, because those
projections don't necessarily work with GEOTIFF.
 Vector overlays (star maps, etc).
"Well, is that all?", you ask.  ;)  I realize that some or all of this is
prohibitively difficult, but I would welcome any hints or insight into the
various bits and pieces.
Thank you!
Ben