[OpenLayers-Users] IE11 - displays occaisional missing tiles persistantly

Jason Lee jaslee.st at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 04:25:04 PST 2014

Hi all, I have some custom map tiles in a basic OpenLayers application.
They look fine in FF and Chrome browsers but in IE11, I get the occasional
missing tile showing with a black cross (x) in the top-right corner - I
attached a screenshot for reference (28 days expire):
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=162e79a

Usually, if this happened, if I panned away and back again, the tile would
appear - I presume this is because the client browser timed-out before the
tile load and displays missing tile instead - BUT in IE11, the missing tile
still shows even after a zoom out and in again.

If I explicitly load the single tile in a separate IE11 tab/window, it
displays and refreshing the whole page the previously missing tile/s
displays also - this however, is not really an acceptable workaround.

Admittedly, the tile fetches involve some image processing at the server
end (PHP Imagick) so there is a tiny lag in fetching tiles but it still
shouldn't result in the behavior I see in IE11.

I tried using the "OpenLayers.IMAGE_RELOAD_ATTEMPTS = 3" code and
".olImageLoadError" CSS trick it but makes no difference - has anyone else
experienced the same problem or can advise?

Thanks,
Jason