[OpenLayers-Users] How to force browser to download a file with a OpenLayers request response

Robert Sanson Robert.Sanson at asurequality.com
Thu Jul 31 13:57:13 PDT 2014

One option would be to get your Python script to Zip the file and place it somewhere on your Web server, then return some HTML (instead of application/json) with a link to the file.

Regards,

Robert

>>> VictoriaH <bhudspeth at edac.unm.edu> 1/08/2014 8:46 a.m. >>>
Hello,

I have OpenLayers request that calls a python function that returns a
GeoJSON formatted text. I can display the text contents in an alert box, but
would like to instead force the browser to offer the text as a GeoJSON file
to be downloaded. I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer on how
to do this...

My python script successfully returns a  "Content-Type: application/json\n"
text to the browser, and my request and response code look like this so far:

		var PM_request = OpenLayers.Request.GET({
		    url:'scripts/geoTiff2GeoJSON_edited.py',
		    callback:processData,
		    params:coords
		    //headers:{"Content-Type": "application/json\n"}
		});

		function processData(PM_request) {
		    var PMjson = new
OpenLayers.Format.JSON().read(PM_request.responseText);
		    //console.log(PMjson);
		    alert("Result is:" + PM_request.responseText);
		}

I would like to add functionality to the processData function above that
opens a download window of some sort where once can acquire the GeoJSON
file...

Thank you,

VickH