[OpenLayers-Users] a whole LOT of points!

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Jan 26 13:07:22 PST 2015

> Use the OL3/Cesium(WebGL) stuff like Bart said.  Using the Cesium 3D engine,
> you can display 5-10million+ points using the Cesium pointGeometry branch
Count me skeptical, but I can see the WebGL might render point much
faster than drawing on a canvas - once you have got the points into
memory in the first place. Downloading as json  and then interpreting
this into memory for 1M points is going to be slow. I note big data
going to cesium like terrain server support or 3D models are in packed
binary formats instead with json shell and are passed directly to host
graphics subsystem. If you can organize your data like that, you are
good to go but I am not sure you can then leverage advantages of vector
formats in openlayers.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.