[OpenLayers-Users] Accessing Google Tile independent from their API in OL3? (possible for paying customer?)

drno riga0078 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 04:01:22 PDT 2017

Andreas Hocevar wrote
> The solution you found is illegal. It violates Google's Terms of Use.

Andreas

I am not surprised if we suspect that such way is illegal. Both free plan
and paid plan prohibit it:
* Free plan: (Google Maps Terms of Service, article 10.1.a)
https://developers.google.com/maps/terms#section_10_1
* Paid plan: (MASTER TERMS: Google Maps APIs, article 4.1.A)
https://enterprise.google.com/maps/terms/apac/premium-maps-terms.html

But if only Google can relax this, there could be great advantage.
Layer from direct access to Google Maps Tiles has visual appearance far
better than layer coming from 'Google Maps API' [+]:
* Direct access gives us Google baselayer that '/really-sticks-to-the-map/'.
User's pan & zoom move the map and Google baselayer follow it *with no lag
at all*
* Google Maps API gives us baselayer that /does not stick to the map/.
User's pan & zoom move the map and Google baselayer follow it *WITH
noticeable lag.*
(Strange thing? I really wish i could show you visually, but I am sure you
know what I mean with this 'stickyness'.)

Also, I checked that accessing directly to Google Maps Tiles WITH paid plan
is possible: make sure that there's javascript reference to Google eg. .
(I have a Premium Plan)

Hence Maps APIs Credits are still counted, where one refresh (or load) of
the page costs 1 Maps APIs Credit.

I think this is kind of win-win solution:
* Google customer (gets better visual quality in OpenLayers (or Leaflet),
and
* Google keeps all map usage metered

Now if I were Google I will make /direct-access-to-tile/ available for use
but /only/ for paid plan, such that HTTP requests to /direct-access-to-tile/
without paid plan will be rejected.

Also, I observed that Google is the only map provider (to the best extent of
my knowledge) that has lag movement during map move (as long as the Google
layer comes NOT from /direct-access-to-tile/). Bing and OSM do not have it.

+] I put quote because I am not really sure how to shortly distinct the two
(Direct access to tile VS Google Maps API?)
Andreas Hocevar wrote
> If in doubt, get in touch with your Google sales representative to see if
> you can negotiate a special agreement.

Yes, I agree.