Re: [OSGeo BC] Updated Invitation: Vancouver Island OpenStreetMap.org - Mapping Party @ Tue Aug 11 18:00 – 21:00 (osgeo-bc@lists.osgeo.org)

Michael Weisman mweisman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:33:12 EDT 2009

Good ol' Translink.

I wrote a script a few years back that not only scrapes translink's
schedules, but also attempts to parse the stop names, geocode them,
and then create lines from the points and load the whole thing into
PostGIS. It worked pretty well, (maybe 80% accuracy) and did not use
translink's spatial data but resulted in a nasty gram from them, so I
haven't touched it in a couple years.

The source is on my website if you are interested in playing with it:
http://www.mweisman.com/geocode.zip. I have also documented the REST
API that translink's iPhone app uses
(http://www.mweisman.com/transit.html), but since this is not supposed
to be public, I have no idea what the terms of service are for the
data.

You may want to start by simply using the web-based editing tools to
add stops to OSM. May be easier than actually going around to every
stop on foot.

--
Michael Weisman