[OSGeo BC] talk-ca list & osgeo lists

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:52:19 EDT 2009

Hi everyone on the OSGeoBC list, (can you forward this to the others in
Canada please?)

For all those interested in OpenStreetMap, please add yourself to the
talk-ca mailing list.  Right now, there are 98 members who get the
non-digest version of this list, and 22 who get the digest version.

The list hasn't been to chatty, considering were working on the import, so
2009 has been a slow year for on-the-ground-mapping, but the plan is that
for 2010, most of the data should be eithor imported or ready to import,
then it's back to more mapping of stuff that isn't available.  ie.
Vancouver & Victoria

We know that there is a lot of work todo, i (personally) want to see it all
done, and put it on my plate to get done.  So if someone else beats be to
it, they are welcome todo so. :-)  The only thing i (we) ask is that in
discussions we keep cc:ing the talk-ca list, that way everyone on a weekly
basis can quick skim through the digest or emails and jump in discussion if
they have input.

I'm trying to be as openSource as i can, with the development of canvec2osm
(as i put myself in charge of that part), but for the roads import, that
script is out of BETA, so it allows for everyone to jump in if they can.
So right now, 'cause the script is just as intense as the geobase Roads
is/was, it can only be 1 person (in charge) of initial development.   ....
my hopes is that by next week i should be processing areas for each major
city, then we can get the final tweaks done, then i can process the rest of
the country.

Also, i'm (self-designated) the one who is 'managing' and keeping track of
the overall progress for the Canada Import on a GoogleDocs chart, this is
because the Wiki is harder to maintain for such a HUDGE dataset.  So if
anyone wants access to edit the chart, just ask :)
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am70fsptsPF2dG1ZN1YwMmZCVDhDOHZpbUNmOGlvWGc&hl=en
And if you don't want to edit the GoogleDocs chart, thats fine too, go ahead
and edit the wiki charts, just PLEASE let the talk-ca discussion list know
about your progresses, as we all can help :)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

Twitter: @Acrosscanada