[osgeo4w-dev] Installer, Express Install does not ask for instalation folder.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 29 16:49:33 EST 2008

Lucena, Ivan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just two little comments:
>
> The "Express" options install everything on C:/OSGeo4w without asking the user where to install.

Ivan,

I think this is intentional.  That is, we try to minimize the number
of questions when doing an express install.

> It also does not tell you that it is going to install an older version of GDAL.

OSGeo4W was based on the stable version of GDAL (1.5) at the point it was
launched (early 2008).  Because lots of packages are built against GDAL
we can't easily migrate the default/public version of GDAL to 1.6, though
1.6 is available as a special install which you need to type "gdal16" at
the commandline to use.

The intention is that at some point (perhaps soon) we would start
building a new generation of OSGeo4W (perhaps OSGeo4W Ver2) using
the stable versions of core libraries that are available.

> Overall, it is great!

That is very reassuring to hear!