[osgeo4w-dev] feedback on osgeo cygwin setup

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Feb 12 14:18:21 EST 2008

Hello everyone, it's wonderful see this project getting started!

I've read through the archives and like what I see so far. I personally
don't like the cygwin setup gui very much for the reasons Frank covered
already (too many choices, hard to pick groups), but my main peeve is
that the packages aren't searchable or filterable (e.g. type in a few
characters and see all matching packages). What I really like about
cygwin setup is that downloading all the packages *without* installing
and saving to disc to install from another machine is trivial. My
favourite package manager is apt-get, but using it in this manner is not
so straightforward.

This brings me to cyg-apt, a very cool script which brings an apt-get
feel to cygwin. Perhaps it can be used here too.
The script: http://lilypond.org/~janneke/software/cyg-apt
How to use it (very end of page):
http://software.jessies.org/salma-hayek/cygwin-setup.html

I see from the archive that Frank's intention for osgeo's cygwin
setup.exe[*] is to install native win32 programs and not cygwin emulated
binaries. There is going to be some confusion here. When I run
osgeo-setup on my machine which has cygwin installed it wants to reuse
the cygwin cache directory and install to C:\cygwin. Also in the list of
packages it shows me currently installed cywgin packages (as 'keep') and
the new ones (as 'to install') are not obviously related to osgeo (curl,
libexpat, textreplace, zlib, xerces). And yes I selected the osgeo
mirror to download from.

When I next run cygwin setup.exe the situation is reversed with default
cache and install directory set to what I typed for osgeo last time.

[*] Please rename to osgeo-setup.exe to avoid confusion. I've done this
locally and it doesn't complain.

A native windows program for commandline updating and installing windows
programs from the internet which I've recently encountered is Appupdater
http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/
It has a bug with not always properly quoting paths, but is easy to
workaround and I assume will be easy to fix also. There is a primitive
gui, not pretty but easily understandable.  I see a linux version noted
on their package installer comparison page but not download package (I
didn't look very hard).
http://www.nabber.org/projects/appupdater/compare.html

cheers,

--