[osgeo4w-dev] o4w-apt: an apt-get like utility for OSGeo4W

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Jul 4 19:58:45 EDT 2008

Done: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/17

> other installation mechanisms (like handling of postinstall steps,
> use of a common cache directory).

I think I've fixed the postinstall. A common cache directory is a good
idea. If I use osgeo4w-setup advanced install and set the downloads
directory to .../var/cache/setup the two seem to co-exist happily.
Personally I'd prefer to have the cache outside of %osgeo4w_root%. I
don't know what an alternative sensible default would be though.

>> What package creates the OSGeo4w Shell start menu item?
>
> It is actually created by the installer itself as a post processing
> step but I would like to shift that action to the msvcrt (base)
> package at some point, or alternatively to create a "shell" package
> that creates it and that is a dependency of anything with a
> commandline commands like GDAL, PROJ and GRASS.

okay. I've hacked together a shell package, by guess and golly. It seems
to work (again! I'm having a good week!).
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/18

talk to you again next tuesday,

-matt