[osgeo4w-dev] package versions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 14 12:24:52 EDT 2008

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> sorry i meant to refer to 'gdal-1.5.0-3.tar.bz2'.
>
> -jeff
 >
> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> I am wondering how useful using the "version of the packaging attempt"
>> is in our package names.  e.g. gdal-1.5.0-1.tar.bz2 means it's the
>> third package attempt, and users can grab 'packaging attempts' 1-3 for
>> gdal. But what does that mean to a user?  I don't think any user cares
>> if I made 10 attempts at a gmap package...but they do care if there is
>> a later version (gmap-5.0.tar.bz2 to gmap-6.0.tar.bz2 for example).
>> Is this "version of the packaging attempt" a requirement by the cygwin
>> installer environment?  Can we remove this requirement?  Or what is
>> the purpose of having this 'packaging attempt'?  I find that extra
>> number in the "Select Packages" page is confusing to a normal user.

Jeff,

The repackagings are distinct objects and the -1 -2 -3 appendages are
how the system keeps them straight, so that upgrades can be done to the
latest repackaging for instance.

In the case of gdal-1.5.0-3, exposing this to user means if someone complains
to me about not having OGDI support, I can ask "do you have gdal-1.5.0-3?"
and if they report they have gdal-1.5.0-2 I can tell them they need to upgrade
to -3 to get the OGDI support. (as an example).

Note the packaging numbers do not show up in the express install.

Overall I would note there is technical danger each time we vary things
from the way things currently work in the installer.  I have discovered
already that the internal architecture of the installer is pretty
sophisticated which means difficult for me to grasp.  I hesitate to change
things without a compelling reason.

So, I would ask that we just let this aspect be.