[osgeo4w-dev] Grass packager?

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:15:39 EDT 2008

[...]
>  I installed uDig (it's pretty big!) and ran it successfully.  It is perhaps
>  aimed at a more sophisticated user than me, since I found it quite challenging
>  to display a simple geotiff but it did seem to be doing what it is supposed to.

Hmm. If the compression format is understood, then dragging it into
the catalog or layer view should have been enough. Udig requires for
all the data to have a .prj file.

>  A few suggestions:
>
>  1) I do think that the package should put a udig.bat script into \bin
>     that will launch udig.

Oh, that could be the right idea, also because the user would for sure
execute udig.exe, which doesn't find the jre (I'm working on that). I
have a queston about the bat file. As I launch it, it opens the dos
window. Anyone an idea about how to avoid this? I thought there was a
flag, but I couldn't find it. I am using start.

>  2) There should be a udig start menu entry and icon created.

Should I take care of this? I thought at some point there would have
been a standardised procedure to follow to achieve that.

>  3) I think we will eventually need a "Language" category with stuff like
>     the Java, Python, and Perl interpreters.  Java doesn't really belong in
>     Desktop (IMHO)

Agreed. +1

>  4) Please document the new packages in:
>       http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W_Packages
>     (this also goes for Jeff and Assefa who have been very busy!)

Ok.

>  I would suggesting waiting to repackage for (1) and (2) till Assefa has added
>  the link/icon maker program to the msvcrt package (effectively our "base"
>  package) and documented how to use it.

Ok, forget my answer above.

>  (3) we can address later just changing the setup.hint - no need to repackage.
>
>  Does it make any sense to factor out GeoTools from uDig for use in other
>  efforts? Perhaps uDig is very sensitive to the geotools version and it
>  makes more sense to keep a copy of stuff in the udig package?

Yes, the last applies. Geotools is many versions forward against the
actual udig. The actual trunc udig is more or less in line with the
latest geotools.

from a user that tried the installer:
Express Install does not work; checking GDAL and pressing NEXT produces
a bunch of warnings about "Un met Dependencies Found" (for curl, expat,
geos, hdf4 etc...). Pressing BACK from the Express Install takes you to
the same broken Select Packages screen.

I have no possibility to try that now since i am not on a windows
machine. Can anyone test that?

Ciao
Andrea