[osgeo4w-dev] Express Install Implemented

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Mar 19 18:47:16 EDT 2008

> Testing and feedback is welcome.
>
>   http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/osgeo4w-setup.exe

[Express]

- As there is only one download site, it should be selected by default
(and even when there are choices download.osgeo.org should be selected
by default).

- Pressing the back button after having progressed one or two [nexts]
show screens which the user has never seen. This will be confusing to
people who've never tried the Advanced install.

- would be nice if the package selection screen had more info than just
the name on the packages

After install, I get this popup error when typing gdalinfo (or any other
utility) in the OSGeo4W shell:

---------------------------
gdalinfo.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because xerces-c_2_7.dll was not
found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK

This is a new computer with relatively little installed on it, aside
from ArcGIS, Thunderbird, Firefox. Windows XP Professional x64, SP2. I
selected only GDAL to install.

cheers,

-matt