[osgeo4w-dev] gdal-python packages & gdal_merge

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 10:37:16 EDT 2008

fabienne picot wrote:
> Good morning
> So with this method: ADVANCED INSTALL--- INSTALL FROM LOCAL DIRECTORY?
> it failed (see the attached file);
> I am on Windows, so I download: osgeo4w-setup.exe, and I launched it.
> That's why I choose INSTALL FROM LOCAL DIRECTORY, because I thought
> everything was in the '.exe'.
> But apparently I choose the wrong method.
> So I've installed it by choosing INSTALL FROM INTERNET. The first time,
> it failed, I've tried back: it works.

Fabienne,

I gather the attached .doc shows the error you got the first time
doing install from internet?   I have no real idea why it crashed.

> But now the problem is:
> 'OSGEO4W home is C:\OSGeo4W
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\OSGeo4W>gdal_merge.py -o 'C:\image\assemblage1.tif'
> 'C:\image\SC25_TOUR_1020_1920_L2E.TIF' 'C:\image\SC25_TOUR_1020_193
> 0_L2E.TIF'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File 'C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdal_merge.py', line 31, in <module>
>     import gdal
>   File 'C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\lib\site-packages\gdal.py', line 2, in
> <module>
>     from osgeo.gdal import deprecation_warn
>   File 'C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal.py', line
> 7, in <module>
>     import _gdal
> ImportError: DLL load failed: Le systÞme d'exploitation ne peut pas
> exÚcuter %1.
> So what's wrong now because the files are here: C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-dev\bin

The files in apps\gdal-dev\bin relate to the gdal-dev package and would
not normally be used unless you first type "gdaldev.bat" at the commandline
to switch to the development GDAL environment.  Normally the default
(GDAL 1.5) environment is used in which case the _gdal DLL is found as:

C:/osgeo4w/apps/python25/lib/site-packages/osgeo/_gdal.pyd

Could you perhaps confirm that this file exists and is 172032
bytes long?

BTW, does "gdalinfo" at the commandline report a proper usage message?
I'm asking to confirm that the underlying GDAL package is ok.

I appreciate your taking the time to help us work quirks out of
the OSGeo4W package.