[osgeo4w-dev] gdal-python packages & gdal_merge

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 10 11:07:50 EDT 2008

fabienne picot wrote:

> Cheer!!
> That's it!
> what is the utility of this dll in system32, do you know?
> it means each time I would like to use python'extensions, I'll have to
> rename this DLL?

Fabienne,

libpq.dll is the Postgres client library, and would potentially be
used by other postgres based apps on your system.  It is likely that
you can just copy C:\OSGeo4W\bin\libpq.dll to C:\windows\system32
as I imagine it is newer than the one you had.  Then other apps should
also work.

But in the worst case you would end up having to switch things back
and forth depending on your use.

I would note that OSGeo4W deliberately does not copy anything to
c:\windows\system32 in order to avoid breaking other applications.
I only wish other applications were so careful.

Best regards