[osgeo4w-dev] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 22:58:53 EDT 2008

Comments inline.
Luca Casagrande wrote:
> We can also check the wubi system used in Ubuntu. With this we can
> allow users to browse the livecd and install it
> from windows system.
> Bye
> Luca
Luca, wubi seems like it would be worth including. I assume the downside
for wubi would be that it consumes more memory and is slower than native
windows installs? So it would be useful for testing, but not for
installing the final system.

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I demo'ed a "install from CD" version of OSGeo in Capetown.  The downside
> is that it does not necessarily have the latest software, but it does
> mean
> we have something to give out.  Some info on this is available at:
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/InstallFromCD
>
> The other approach is to have a pre-installed copy of OSGeo4W packages on
> the CD and have this work on the fly in the way that PortableGIS does.
When handing out DVDs at conferences, you will usually be introducing
users to specific GeoFOSS packages for the first time. While desirable,
it is not essential that you have the latest version of software.
The most important thing is that the DVD is easy to use for a newbie.
Put the DVD in the computer and it works first time. (Hence we need all
software on the DVD).

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect