[osgeo4w-dev] status of QGIS package

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Jan 9 12:18:34 EST 2009

Hi Frank,

On Fri, 09. Jan 2009 at 08:13:59 -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> This is great news!  I've done a quick test of QGIS and it installs fine.
> I am able to view raster data, but adding vector layers via OGR seems
> to fail (tried shape and mapinfo files).

I notice that QGIS was build without embedded manifests and that's
probably the cause.

The other packages should already use embedded manifests, but CMake 2.4
does it that way, while CMake 2.6 produces projects that embed by
default.

So I needed to recreated the QGIS packages only.  I also added
msvcm90.dll to msvcrt as the QGIS install target now installed it. BTW
it was already mentioned in the manifest file in msvcrt.

My packages were also missing package version numbers. I removed the old
qgis packages, just renamed the other packages to -1 and uploaded the
qgis packages with embedded manifests as -1.

> Would you be willing to create pages in the OSGeo4W package listing for
> each of the new packages.  Particularly I'm keen to see the qt and qt-devel
> packages well described so other folks packaging stuff based on Qt will
> understand how to use them and any special constraints (compiler version,
> etc).

Well, I would, but I haven't used Qt for anything else then QGIS so far
(ie. with CMake and not qmake).

So apart from the fact that I built Qt with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Express Edition, I couldn't think of much else to write.  But I suppose
anyone having problems to use the package, will sooner or later ask
here, file bugs with TRAC or visit #qgis - and documentation could start
from there.

> I'd like to add QGIS to the express install package list once the quirk
> with the vector layers is resolved.

Please test, if they work for you now.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden