[osgeo4w-dev] GEOS 3.0.3-2

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 13 00:25:29 EDT 2009

Folks,

In order to correct some serious problems with GDAL packages depending on
GEOS I have rebuilt and issued a GEOS 3.0.3-2 package.  It appears I built
GEOS 3.0.3-1 with VisualStudio 2008.  However, it turns out that there is at
least one GDAL cross-heap allocation problem when using GEOS that requires
(for now) that they have the same runtime C library.  So the -2 package it
built with VS 2003.

The problem with GEOS is described in:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/249

For the purpose of GDAL, the particular problem is the use of free()
on the result of GEOSGeomToWKT_buf() in OGRGeometryFactory::createFromGEOS().

This email is partly a warning notice to anyone who used GEOS for their
package and possibly depended on it using the VS2008 runtime.