[osgeo4w-dev] Python GIS programming environment under Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 15 19:26:46 EST 2010

On 10-12-15 06:42 PM, Gilles Bassière wrote:
> Thanks to both of you.
>
> Adding %osgeo4w_root%\bin to the path solved the msvcr71.dll problem and I've
> been able to use Pythonwin.
>
> With Alex's batch file, I've been able to import the GDAL Python bindings which
> would not load otherwise. I don't understand why the GDAL Python bindings are
> not made available on the python path by the gdal-python. For other package
> (e.g. mapnik), it works out of the box.

Gilles,

I'm not sure of the details you are asking about.  But if the question is,
why doesn't OSGeo4W insert it's python packages into the global PYTHONPATH
environment variable on the system to make them available, the answer is
because OSGeo4W strives to *not* interfere with anything outside of itself.

If we were to do so, there is a high risk we would cause crashes if people
had a different version of python installed.