[osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W Governance

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Feb 19 17:24:19 EST 2010

I welcome the opportunity to continue to help osgeo4w grow and develop.
Thank you.

Packaging indeed needs to be thought about. For the "who is maintaining"
aspect: maybe packages which have not been touched in NN-months get
dropped from the [curr] ent package list? (with advance notice to the
current maintainers' email address, and the mailing list.)
> Arguably we could dispense with the distinction and treat the PSC as being
> the collection of all packagers.
Definitely all packagers should have a voice.  If it's a committee with
all on equal footing pulling off major upgrades like standardizing on
gdal1.7 and python3 will be hard and long; there are over 60 names in
/home (not sure how many of those are osgeo4w specific).

Also on the packaging front it'd be great if the osgeo4w specific part
of them were part of a version control system. For example I'd like to
make some small changes to the default postinstall method for making
menu and desktop links. It'd be easier for one person do this in a
centralised location than sending nag messages out to dozens of
packagers, who likely want to focus on the application itself and thus
will let small fiddly things sit in the waiting room until there is no
choice. I've no idea how to accomplish this as everything in one big
repository would clearly be too much. Launchpad perhaps? <shrug>

In any case, the above is diving into specifics and is more properly
part of an RFC process.  I agree that it might be the right time to
formalize how major decisions are made, with just enough governance to
be functional.

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology