[osgeo4w-dev] shpproj (and others) can't find proj_fw.dll

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Mon May 23 15:05:53 EDT 2011

I have OSGeo4W installed on my 64-bit Windows machine.  I've gone
through various installations of this but this has included the
express install and separately the installation of various packages.

Starting up the OSGeo4w shell via the start menu opens a CMD window
which reports OSGEO4W home is C:\OSGeo4W.  Then I get an alert saying
that gdalinfo was unable to locate proj_fw.dll and suggestiong that I
reinstall the application.  If I dismiss the warning and run shpproj I
get a similar warning about proj_fw.dll.

It seems as though the dependency mechanism in OSGeo4W is broken?  Any
suggestions?

P.S. I have similar problems on my 32-bit Windows desktop.  FW Tools
of various vintages are installed on both machines (but why would that
matter?).

--
Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300