[osgeo4w-dev] nightly-build packages for gdal and geos

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Nov 13 15:20:21 EST 2011

On 11-11-13 09:14 AM, Giuseppe Sucameli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think may be a good idea to have a nigthly-build packages
> for almost all the more important osgeo libraries e.g. gdal,
> geos and so on.
>
> This could help in testing new features, but also to check if
> bugs closed as fixed and don't cause regressions and works
> as expected.
>
> I usually use -dev versions of osgeo libs on my Ubuntu box,
> but in Windows this is a bit more complicated because
> compiling all of them requires a lot of time.
>
> Is there a way to do it? If so, can I help you in any way?

Giuseppe,

Generally speaking development versions of GDAL are not suitable for
applications to build on since the ABI could change from day to day.

I am also mildly anti-daily-build in OSGeo4W.  It causes a lot of churn
and accumulation of junk in the download.osgeo.org backup system and
even on the download server itself.  Also, once someone has installed
the daily they will get new updates every time they try to refresh packages.
I have personally found this so annoying I had to uninstall the daily
packages in my OSGeo4W install tree.

I'm not trying to stop Jurgen from doing QGIS dailies through OSGeo4W but
I'm unwilling to do it for GDAL.