[osgeo4w-dev] findstr in addPath runs forever on windows7

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Jun 28 09:27:22 PDT 2012

this is in regards to http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/295

I've been researching this a bit, and have only uncovered 3 possibly
related discussions so far:

findstr hangs indefinitely
<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/5bdefc08-ba7f-4986-9792-42421832bdd4/>
No clue to cause, but they discuss a vbscript alternative which is
reliable for them.

CreateProcess running a .bat script using FindStr causing issues on
windows 2008
<http://go4answers.webhost4life.com/Example/createprocess-running-bat-script-122469.aspx>
bat file works from command prompt but not when called from another
process, fails on Win2008 while working on other Windows versions (Win7
not tested)

What are the undocumented features and limitations of the Windows
FINDSTR command? - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8844868/
tons of information here, which I've yet to read, item of immediate
interest is:

    Windows 7 FINDSTR hangs if redirected input does not end with <LF>

    This is a nasty "feature" on Windows 7. If the last character of a
    file used as redirected input does not end with |<LF>|, then FINDSTR
    will hang indefinitely once it reaches the end of the redirected file.

--
matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst