[osgeo4w-dev] Python 2 & 3 (was Re: #357: python 2.7.4 dll conflicts)

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Apr 25 13:13:00 PDT 2013

Replying to list instead of trac as I want to take a tangent.

re: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/357#comment:4

> for qgis this is fixed by moving the qgis.exe to the main bin (the
> directory of the executable that load a DLL takes precedence over
> system32 and PATH).b

I've been preparing to put forward a discussion about adding python 3 to
osgeo4w. I'm almost done building packages for python 3.2.4. What I
haven't addressed yet is how to have it peacefully co-exist with Python
2.7, and all the packages which depend on it. Actually the first is
pretty easy, just move python.exe, pythonw.exe, python27.dll &
w9xpopen.exe to `apps\Python27` and adding `setenv_py.bat [2 or 3]`
script. It's keeping qgis and friends happy that I don't know about.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this now as moving binaries about is
being discussed.

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology