[osgeo4w-dev] Testing OSGeo4W 64bit

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 18:19:46 PDT 2013

On 26 August 2013 03:58, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> The installer is available at http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ (marked as
> Experimental 64bit [1]).
>
> Please test and report.

Hi Jürgen,

Here's what I see testing from Win 7 Enterprise, SP 1. This computer
does not have any compiler or debug libraries, but it has a 32-bit
version of OSGeo4W. Before doing anything with the 64-bit
osgeo-setup.exe, I renamed "C:\OSGeo4W" to "C:\OSGeo4W32", and similar
with the Start menu group/folder and the Download cache folder. Here
is a list of oddities that I found:

When going into the advanced install select packages view, all of the
"size" items have "?", unless it was previously installed or it is
changed from "Skip" to "[version]" to install, then it shows the size
value in "k" (kilobytes?)

Many of the dependencies don't seem to select the other packages. Some
do, for example "zlib-devel" will automatically include "zlib". But
others don't, like "python-numpy" doesn't select "python" or anything
else.

Selecting "gdal-filegdb" does not prompt anything, and "gdal-ecw" is
not found in the list.

The Start menu has an empty OSGeo4W folder.

After re-running the 32-bit osgeo-setup.exe once, the 64-bit
osgeo-setup.exe displays a message after clicking "Next" on the
"Select Your Internet Connection" page:

"""
OSGeo4W Setup - Use dropped mirrors?
Warning: One or more mirrors you have selected is/are not on thelist
of official OSGeo4W mirrors any more. It/They may be out of date or
missing some packages. This affects the following mirror(s):
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w

If you experience installation problems consider trying official mirrors only.
Do you want to continue, using this/these mirror(s)?
[ ] Don't warn me about this/these mirror(s) again
(Yes) (No)
"""
where (No) has the default focus.

I don't recall seeing this dialog on the first run of the 64-bit
version, but only after running the 32-bit version once. I'm not sure
how to reset this dialog (it's in the registry, right?)

-Mike