[osgeo4w-dev] [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W orphaned?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Sun Nov 15 09:38:44 PST 2015

> On Nov 14, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Helmut,
>
> On Sat, 14. Nov 2015 at 23:18:36 +0100, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
>> Is OSGeo4W orphaned?
>
> No.   But it's mostly only getting updates on GRASS (but only 32bit) and QGIS.
> Dependencies are usually only updated if required.  And I'm not sure if
> everything in OSGeo4W is ready to work with GDAL 2 (IIRC OTB doesn't support
> GDAL 2 yet).

No, not orphaned. PDAL also uses OSGeo4W64 as its main Windows distribution mechanism.

It may be a bit early to jump on the "GDAL 2.x+ only" packaging scenario, especially for many packages. Maybe we should explore keeping 1.x and 2.x GDAL separate for a while as the packages slowly catch up. Not ideal, I know.

Howard