[OSGeoLive] Disk space and gvSig upgrade

James Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Mon Jul 2 09:55:11 PDT 2018

For what it's worth, I have done some searching and it looks like there may
be a couple ways around the 4GB file size limit.

One possibility appears to be putting the squashfs file on a second
partition (either directly or in a ext2 filesystem). This would be
problematic for actual optical disks, but should work on USB devices.

It also looks like there is a way to make files larger than 4GB on iso9660
filesystems with some limits on non-Linux compatibility (but this is
probably not an issue if only Linux needs to read the squashfs file). I am
not sure if this would break the iso-hybrid compatibility with USB images.

Just throwing these out there as possibilities to start thinking about how
we might get past the 4GB limit. I obviously haven't had a chance to test
anything yet.