[OSGeoLive] MapCache Permissions

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 08:04:54 PDT 2019

Hi,

I'm currently testing the latest beta from http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/dev/osgeolive-nightly-build163-amd64-38dc97a-master.iso with MapCache.
There is a permssions issue causing tiles to return "failed to create directory /home/user/mapcache/tilecache..Permission denied"

The https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/blob/master/bin/install_mapcache.sh#L44 script runs the following:

# make a folder for the tilecache abd set the owner to be www-data
MAPCACHE_DIR=/home/user/mapcache
mkdir -p "$MAPCACHE_DIR/tilecache"
chown -R www-data:www-data "$MAPCACHE_DIR/tilecache"

On the latest release the owner of /home/user/mapcache/tilecache is still "user". If I run these manually (with sudo) on the latest release everything works correctly.
The Zoo installer also has a similar approach:

https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/blob/master/bin/install_zoo-project.sh#L77

It refers to ticket https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/ticket/1850 which has discussions of folder locations for a tile cache.

Should I update the install/configs to point to /var/mapcache/tilecache to keep the permssions?
I presume ownership of the folder is changed in a later script, or is not advised.

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika