[Oskari-user] Interview about background and development of Oskari

Aarnio Timo (MML) timo.aarnio at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Jun 25 07:58:26 PDT 2018

Hi Erik!

No worries, we're still here :)

Answers to the questions below:

* Can you briefly explain what is Oskari about and for whom it is?

Oskari is an open source web map application platform. It can be used to set up services that benefit from / require a map component. Oskari is designed to be used as a part of a spatial data infrastructure so that the data is not stored in the Oskari instance but rather fetched from different APIs on-the-fly.

 * What was the initial idea behind creating Oskari and not using another existent software?

The idea for Oskari came about when a new geoportal was being planned for Finland. The commercial solutions did not offer enough functionalities to fulfil the needs of National Land Survey of Finland so they decided to build a new software utilizing existing open source solutions as much as possible. There was also a desire to try new development methods (agile) and Scrum was chosen.

 * In your demo-version, you offer a lot of thematic maps and visualized data.
Are these all based on Open Data or where do you get all the data from?

The statistical data available currently (June 25th 2018) in demo.oskari.org is open data from Statistics Finland (http://www.stat.fi/tup/index_en.html - see: Regional data and open data). The data is utilized via an API. Like mentioned before in typical cases no data is hosted in the Oskari instance itself.

 * Who are the people or the organisation behind Oskari and who is mainly financing it?

The organizations behind Oskari include but are not limited to:
National Land Survey Of Finland
Finnish Transport Agency
The City of Tampere
The Finnish Heritage Agency
Helsinki Region Environmental Services Authority HSY
Sitowise Ltd

Most of the financing has so far come from public authorities.

 * With our campaign "Public Money? Public Code!" we demand that publicly funded software should be available to the public under a Free and Open Source Software license. Is Oskari an exception in that it is published as Free Software or is this rather the usual case in Finland?

I'd say it's quite usual in Finland to publish something as free software, but I don't have any data to back up that claim.

 * Have there been any concerns about publishing it as Free Software?

Not that I know of.

 * What do you think is the major benefit of Oskari being Free Software?

The potential for re-use and further development, increased transparency and code quality to name a few.

 * You got the Second prize in the the cross-border category of the share&reuse award 2017 [2]. Why was Oskari chosen?

All the participants in the contest were screened against the eligibility criteria.
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/joinup/eligibility-criteria

Additionally there were four categories depending on how large the potential for re-use is for each solution.

 * Do you know who is currently (re-)using Oskari or who are the active members of the community? Is it composed of individuals or organisations?

It is composed of organizations. The ones mentioned above are the currently most active ones plus at least:
National Land Survey of Iceland
National Land Survey of Moldova
Statistics Finland

 * Is it possible for people outside, who are interested in the project, to contribute and, if so, how?

The contribution guidelines can be found from: http://oskari.org/documentation/development/how-to-contribute

 * Is there something you would do differently today with regard to Oskari's process to become Free Software?

I have to say I was not involved with Oskari until it was already open sourced and made into free software so I wouldn't know.

* Which recommendations would you give to comparable projects who would like to follow your example?

Go open today, there's no excuse not to (well maybe apart from hardcoded credentials). Give the needed support to early adopters and users when documentation is not sufficient. Try and maintain a healthy ratio of developing new features and maintaining old code. If you aim to develop collaboratively (or accept outside contributions al all) use a well-defined process for that.

If you need clarifications or more information on any question please do ask, we'll be happy to answer!

Kind regards,
Timo