[Ottawa_users] (no subject)

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Nov 13 12:28:45 EST 2007

The bellow was scrubbed from our mailing list so I C/P'ed here

============

A plea for help, since there are so many of you with relevant experience
on this list.  First, some background, then a specific problem on a
machine in the student lab, followed by a general appeal for help to fix
various little bugs here in the Carleton labs.

We've been using Chameleon for various assignments and labs at Carleton
for at least a few years.  Initially DMSolutions sent in people (yay,
Jeff!) to set up and help run the lab, and in the past couple of years
I've managed to run them on my own.  We used a combination of student
development on Windows and Linux machines, and then publishing on a Mac
Server box.  It worked quite well.

This year, the Windows machines have had new security software installed
which prompted me to suggest that those students in my fourth year class
which wanted to use mapserv/chameleon in their projects do so under
Linux, since we're also using the OS for other work in the class (so
they have familiarity in the environment which many of the other
students don't).
But I'm starting to kick myself, because the linux in this lab was also
updated last summer, and the new distribution sets everything up with
SELinux security.  It took me a couple of weeks, but I THINK I FINALLY
have got rid of all the blocks that created.  But I'm also using newer
chameleon code, and I'm getting php errors which aren't obviously
pointing at the problem, at least from my tired, exasperated point of
view - e.g.:

[Tue Nov 13 11:39:08 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:
[MapServer Error]: msProcessProjection(): no system list, errno: 2\n\n
in
/var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/htdocs/common/wrapper/map_session.php
on line 215, referer: http://localhost/samples/ [Tue Nov 13 11:39:08
2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning:  Failed to open map file
/var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/samples/map/chameleon.map in
/var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/htdocs/common/wrapper/map_session.php
on line 215, referer: http://localhost/samples/ [Tue Nov 13 11:39:08
2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Notice:  Trying to get property of
non-object in /var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/htdocs/chameleon.php on
line 766,
referer: http://localhost/samples/
[Tue Nov 13 11:39:08 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error:
Call to a member function set() on a non-object in
/var/www/html/chameleon-2.6.0rc1/htdocs/widgets/KeyMap/KeyMap.widget.php
on line 197, referer: http://localhost/samples/

Does that mean anything to any of you?

Meanwhile, over on my main web server, a series of upgrades to GDAL,
PHP, etc, all combined to break the pre-existing mapserv and chameleon
projects from past years.  I upgraded mapserv itself to 5.0 and now
mapserv-only projects are working, and the chameleon apps are
"partially" working - basic functionality is there but some button
images are not being found.
This has been a lower priority for me, but should be fixed at some
point.
In addition, if that had been working properly, I would have had these
students just do their projects on the main server instead of the lab
machines.  I mention it here to see if anyone feels up to helping me go
through the errors and try to get that server in shape - either
interactively online, or maybe just an evening physically in the lab?

Is there any interest in a group "OSGEO web server implementation debug
fest" / workshop ? :)  Getting these machines fixed up would also make
it feasible to run web mapping workshops in here in the new year, after
all.
In addition, I know that Cameron Wilson intends to run web mapping
exercises in this lab next term in an advanced cartography class, so
lessons and repairs now will really help the program overall.

I realize I've escalated this from a small request to a giant appeal,
but perhaps you guys have better ideas than me about how to approach
this.

Thanks,
Scott