[Ottawa_users] Proposal to expand Chapter

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 4 16:06:50 EDT 2007

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I was approached, in the form of friendly teasing, throughout the FOSS4G
> conference regarding how we are a very "exclusive" group, as we call
> this chapter the "Ottawa Local Chapter".  Several members of the OSGeo
> community pointed out to me over and over again how all other local
> chapters include their entire countries:
>
> Official OSGeo Chapters
>
>     * China OSGeo Chapter
>     * India OSGeo Chapter
>     * Japan OSGeo Chapter
>     * Ottawa OSGeo Chapter
>     * New Mexico, USA OSGeo Chapter
>     * Italian language OSGeo Chapter
>
> OSGeo Chapters "In Formation"
>
>     * Brazilian OSGeo Chapter
>     * German language OSGeo Chapter
>     * French language OSGeo Chapter
>     * Australia OSGeo Chapter
>     * Taiwan OSGeo Chapter
>
> So, as co-chair of our "exclusive" chapter, I propose that we change
> from our single city-based thinking to a much broader approach: as in
> the Canadian OSGeo Chapter.  (our wiki page is down as I write this,
> but...) Our goal could be to promote Open Source geospatial activity in
> *Canada*.

Jeff,

I'm somewhat opposed since I feel our local focus is what makes our
chapter work.  People who can't make it to the face to face meetings
are unlikely to get much benefit from participation.

I will agree that as the only OSGeo Chapter in Canada it is likely to
fall to us to pursue "canada specific" advocacy, but for the most part
the only places we are likely to have an influence is in Ottawa with the
federal government, and perhaps at the provincial level in Ontario due to
lack of localness, and contacts in other venues.

Note that the New Mexico chapter is another quite local chapter
organized at the state level because it becomes practical for the
members to get together in person from time to time.

I can take the teasing about being the most "local" chapter if need be,
and I stress that we are also one of the more active chapters.

Best regards,