[Ottawa_users] Proposal to expand Chapter

Andrew Ross grof at rogers.com
Sat Oct 6 11:31:04 EDT 2007

Hi Jeff, All

I noticed that too.

I thought it was something to be proud of. The Ottawa chapter's existence up
beside national (& state) chapters, combined with the level of activity, and
depth of experience here in Ottawa are remarkable. I'd like to suggest the
notion of continuing to strengthen Ottawa as a geospatial hotspot and centre
of excellence. A vibrant local OSGEO chapter is consistent with this
approach. Doing so will help bring more awareness and attract more local
support. Prior to getting involved, I wasn't aware of all that was going on.
Now that I am, I am very impressed.

Besides the types of things we'd do as a national chapter would be different
than a local chapter. I think there is need for a national chapter. This may
arise as a partnership between local chapters in Canada.

I know you said it in jest, but I can assure anyone who wants to know that
the Ottawa chapter doesn't operate as an exclusive group in any way. I'd
also like to extend my thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and
supportive. It is my hope that I can reciprocate to others in time.

Andrew