[Ottawa_users] Open Source Solutions that handle MGRS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 9 22:08:20 EST 2008

Sampson, David wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm working with a local Search and rescue group as they naviagte the
> world of mapping software.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with using MGRS
> (Millitary Grid Reference System) in open source packages.
>
> I looked at both PROJ and the EPSG code listing and could not find MGRS.
> IS it there buried in something else?
>
> The discussion lists had something about adding MGRS to PROJ but found
> nothing recent to confirm the addition of the feature.

Dave,

MGRS is a bit hard for most projection engines to handle since it doesn't
treat locations as a coordinate tuple, but as a single value (essentially
x/y digits interleaved).

There is C code for converting MGRS coordinates into something more usable
in the GDAL NITF driver.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/nitf/mgrs.c
   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/nitf/mgrs.h

This code was (I think) derived from geotrans or perhaps nima muse.

Best regards,