[Ottawa_users] Open Source Solutions that handle MGRS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 10 11:50:29 EST 2008

Sampson, David wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I think the key for this use of MGRS is the ability to communicate with
> other searching authorities like police and military. Apparently many
> SAR teams are moving over to MGRS for use in the field.
>
> Can the code below be used using any of the command line tools? Or are
> they stand alone snipets?  Could a python script exploit the snippets
> for use in a plugin or something?

Dave,

None of the existing PROJ.4 or GDAL coordinate transformation utilities
and APIs support MGRS - as I mentioned before - because it isn't a
coordinate tuple.

You could either write a custom MGRS oriented commandline utility calling
into the existing code or recast the operations in mgrs into python and
write a python utility.

Best regards,