[Ottawa_users] Re: [Talk-ca] Ground Truthing protocol? --- Re: Accuracy of CanVec vs Yahoo?

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:06:42 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'd actually recommend having a meet-up for the Ottawa area mappers.

I have cc'd the Ottawa OSGeo Local chapter list.
So then those who already have experience working with the data can
share with others the methods.

I'm in Victoria, BC so i cant pick a day/time to host it :)
But for those who meet-up, bring along your laptops/netbooks/devices
and join in the IRC #osm-ca on oftc.net  as the rest of the Canada
mapping team are logging on this room when doing the actual copying-in
work.

I'm around most of the time, but there are others now who can answer
many questions too :-)
as its this new ground for everyone.  If more people join in this chat
room, it helps spread the word out easier.

What i'm recommending for everyone is just to take it slow and copy in
our local-local area manually and work outwords from there.

But of course, there is GPS tracks to be loaded and more paths and
tonnes of features that need to be mapped.

I am steadily working on making the Garmin IMG version of the CanVec
dataset so this can be used along with the OSM data, as a way to keep
on mapping.   Until my version is redealy available, the Ibycus Topo
3.0 is available, and it contains MOST of the same features.  It might
just be shown a little different (different TYP files) than the latest
version (using mkgmap). But it still works great (identical source).
Both the Ibycus topo tiles as well as the CanVec IMG tiles and some
contour Tiles are being added to the folders.   I'm happy todo
requested areas :-), i'm also working in the same order as Daniel is,
trying to keep up.

All files can be downloaded from the NTS Grid (all data folder)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3b30da6df5072902ab1eab3e9fa335ca23d9631e5a05b367
of the site
http://www.mediafire.com/acrosscanadatrails

Cheers,