[Ottawa_users] Ottawa Tree Canopy Mapping Project

Regie Alam regie.alam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 23:48:58 EDT 2012

Hello,

   We at the Ottawa Forests and Greenspace Advisory Committee (OFGAC)
have initiated a project called Ottawa Tree Canopy Mapping Project.
What the project attempts to do is to quantify the amount of tree
canopy cover (as well as other landcover classes, e.g. impervious
surfaces) within the urban boundary. We have access to both 2005 and
2011 air photos from the city. A point grid (100-m distance) is
overlain on the air photos and each point will be classified to
whatever land cover class they fall on to. There are ~35,000 points
for each of 2005 and 2011 so we are asking for volunteers to help us
classify all of them. We are using Quantum GIS for the project because
it works and allows us to distribute the software license-free.

   We initiated the project because there is a gap in the information
about tree canopy cover in Ottawa. Supposedly, there is a tree canopy
target that the city is aiming for but it is not known whether the
city has reached it or whether there are differences between different
areas. This project will attempt to provide baseline information which
the city (or any other organization) can use to manage city trees.

   Information about the project can be found on the frontpage of the
OFGAC website (http://www.ottawaforests.ca/). The site has a link to a
.pdf document which contains additional information about the project.

   Please pass the information along to whoever might be interested in
participating.

Thanks,
Regie