[OWSLib-devel] travis-ci setup and testing

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 15:01:30 PDT 2012

A useful byproduct of moving to GitHub is using travis-ci for continuous integration (general concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration).  travis-ci is a FOSS, hosted CI solution, and runs from a GitHub hook to test every commit to master.

The actual tests can be anything, in our case our test suites at https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/tree/master/tests.

I've started the framework for integrating OWSLib for travis-ci at https://github.com/tomkralidis/OWSLib/tree/travis-ci

You can see the current build status as well as build history of my branch at http://travis-ci.org/#!/tomkralidis/OWSLib.  When you click a build you see the exact output of what happened.  The idea here is to push this to OWSLib master when we've firmed up our testing methodology.

As well, travis-ci supports testing GitHub pull requests, to which the
results get pushed back as a notice in the PR discussion, so this is
very useful too.

I have not hooked up our tests yet as I think we need some consensus and way forward on these, especially in light of Kyle Wilcox's PR (which, among many things, cleans up the tests) at https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/pull/28.

All: any comments on this PR?  Kyle: any comments to https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/pull/28#issuecomment-8267976?

Once we figure out way forward with this PR, I think our CI support will be relatively easy.

Cheers

..Tom