[OWSLib-devel] Parsing data from ESRI WCS servers

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 07:07:50 PDT 2014

+1 for this approach

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Christopher Eykamp
<christopher.eykamp at tudor.lu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a problem with OWSLib and parsing metadata from a ESRI WCS server.
> It seems that ESRI does not fully adhere to the OWS standards, and uses
> slightly different namespaces.
>
> ESRI ==> xmlns:ows="http://www.opengis.net/ows"
> MapServer ==> xmlns:ows="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1"
>
> This causes parsing of XML emitted by ESRI servers to fail.  To be clear,
> the problem is entirely on the ESRI side; OWSLib is doing the right thing.
> However, I think it would make sense to patch OWSLib to be able to read the
> ESRI data as ESRI is a rather big player in the GIS world.
>
> I would propose moving all the attribute parsing into a function, which
> would replace the repeated namespace references sprinkled throughout the
> code.  That function could try the standard namespace first, and if that
> failed, try the ESRI namespace.
>
> This is the approach adopted by OpenLayers, and I think it would make sense
> to apply to OWSLib as well.
>
> If there is some agreement that this is a good way to do, I will submit a
> patch.  However, I am in the process of leaving my current position, so if
> this is not decided by the middle of next week, I will lose access to my
> current workspace and toolset, and there may be some delay getting the patch
> written.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

London - UK
Mobile : +44 7474997517

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>