[Pacific] FOSS4G Pacific Islands

Nomeneta Saili nome.saili at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 16:19:37 PST 2017

Yes good idea to start small and especially to start with the next
generation of geospatial professionals as well.

My hope is that more kids not only get involved in Osgeo not just as users
but also contributors to many different open source GIS projects in the
future. This I believe would open up more doors not just for them but also
for the region as a whole.

I have been disillusioned with how the industry has developed or rather the
lack of development here in Pacific. My first conference was 10 years ago
and even now they are still talking about the same thing that they were
talking about then.

Nothing really is filtering down to grass root and making any real
difference at least here in Samoa. GIS/RS is the same as it were 10 years
ago. SPC/SOPAC haver tried their best but not much of the projects they
have pushed have had any real impact from my observation at least.

It just seems like all the great ideas that were discussed in the
conference stays and dies in those conference.

Ed, I am actually looking at doing a partnership with our NUS to do some
basic course in UAV Mapping to start getting more people at least in UAV
Mapping then go from there.

Regards,

Nome