[libpc] The specialness of X, Y, Z dimensions

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Wed Apr 13 11:53:13 EDT 2011

Yes: the filters that assume X is a double are broken, based on the current
getField() model.  This is really my fault, as I was just whipping out the
"demo" filters to see if they'd function at all.

If I understand what you are asking, your idea is to add a new function
getFieldAs<Tsrc,Tdst>(), which would know how to convert the actual
underlying type Tsrc (in this case an int) to the desired type Tdst (in this
case a double).  This is more than just a simple conversion, because the
source type in this case is "special", in that it is scaled, so the function
would have to "know" this.

Closely related, I wonder if the enum Int is the wrong type for X -- maybe
it should be a special enum ScaledInt?

-mpg

X::Double etc
> baked in as the X dimension for their operations, but my reader is
producing
> X::Int32+scaling.  What should the filters be doing?  Looking for Field_X
plus
> every combination of DataType?  This seems silly.  The crop filter *wants*
> XYZ data as a <double>, but some other filter might want unscaled data to
> work with (if it is available).
>
> What if we were able flip around the getField call to return what you
wanted
> instead of what you have?
>
> // Return you the *first* X dimension in the schema, regardless of
DataType