[libpc] Producer/Consumer vs Reader/Writer

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 14:20:10 EST 2011

Michael,

I am working on creating a writer for OCI and running into some dissonance which I'm sure is my feeble brain's fault.  Here's what has to happen...

Read data from a Reader (LAS, text, etc) -> reorganize data via Chipper into "blocks" -> write blocks into Oracle by reading reorganized data.

Given the current model, and what I've done so far for the chipper, what are the big picture relationships that need to happen?  Is there stuff that's not going to fit so well?

A couple of questions:

- Does Producer == Reader and Consumer == Writer more accurately describe the relationship and intent of these objects?
- How can the writer reasonably perform random reads into the data?  Should the Chipper hook up a cache stage somehow to reorganize the data into the blocks and memory cache it?